ATM Safety Tips
ATMs are great for withdrawing cash, checking your balance or transferring funds. But you should take extra steps to protect your safety while at an ATM.
Before you go to an ATM:
- Put your ATM card in your pocket or hand so you don't have to hunt for it in your purse or backpack.
- Take another person with you whenever possible.
- Protect your Personal Identification Number (PIN) - don't write it down, and don't share it with anyone.
Choosing an ATM:
- Use an ATM that is located in an open space with bright lights.
- Be alert. If anything makes you uncomfortable, leave.
At the ATM:
- Focus on what you're doing. Don't use a cell phone or do anything else that diverts your attention.
- Stand directly in front of the machine, so that people nearby can't see what you're doing.
- If you're in the car, make sure your windows are up and your doors are locked.
- Take all receipts and transaction records with you.
- If the machine retains your card, notify the branch as soon as possible.
If your Commerce ATM card is missing, immediately call the 24-hour Account Information Line and touch "3."
- To send an email that contains confidential information, please visit the Secure Message Center where there are additional instructions about whether to use Secure Email or Online Banking messaging.