Federal Direct Stafford Loans
The Health Care and Education Affordability Reconciliation Act of 2010 mandates that all federal student loans with a disbursement date on or after July 1, 2010 be originated and disbursed under the Federal Direct Loan Program (FDLP). Financial institutions, including Commerce Bank, will no longer fund any new Federal Stafford and PLUS student loans. Commerce Bank has been in the student lending business for over 45 years and will continue to provide customer support for loans that were initially disbursed prior to June 30, 2010.
Federal Direct Stafford Loans are for Undergraduate and Graduate students who are enrolled at least half-time.
There are two types of Federal Direct Stafford Loans, which you may be eligible to combine:
- Fixed interest rates for loans initially disbursed between 7-1-2012 and 6-30-2013:
- Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans for undergraduate students will be at a fixed interest rate of 3.4%*
- Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans for graduate students and all Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans will be at a fixed interest rate of 6.8%*
- Flexible repayment terms (no prepayment penalties)
- Variable borrowing limits based on your year in school
- Interest paid may qualify for a tax deduction**
- Payments deferred while in school at least half-time
- Interest rates are effective 7/1/11. The rates and other information set forth above have been obtained from sources deemed reliable, but do not constitute representations of Commerce Bank, nor shall this be considered an offer by Commerce Bank to fund any loan at rates other than those established by the United States Department of Education.
- Consult a tax advisor for details. IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education, explains these credits and other tax benefits.
- To send an email that contains confidential information, please visit the Secure Message Center where there are additional instructions about whether to use Secure Email or Online Banking messaging.