How to switch banks
Switch to Commerce Bank with this checklist
Follow these simple steps to change banks and switch to Commerce
Step 1: Open a New Commerce Bank Checking Account
- Select the best checking account for your situation
- Apply Online or visit a local bank branch and we’ll help you change banks.
- Apply for a Visa® Debit Card
- Activate Online Banking and Online Bill Pay
- Order new checks
Step 2: Change your Automatic Payments
- Make a list of your current automatic deposits — download our Activity Tracking Sheet[PDF]
- Transfer your direct deposits and automatic payments — use our Direct Deposit[PDF] and Automatic Payment Transfer[PDF] forms
- View sample cover letters that can be used with the forms
- Biller letter[PDF] to transfer payments
- Employer letter[PDF] to transfer direct deposits
- Switch to Commerce Bank Online Bill Pay if you currently pay your bills online or are ready to start
Checking account and routing numbers can be found on your temporary checks
Step 3: Close Your Old Checking Account
It's time to close your old account. We suggest you:
- Allow outstanding checks and payments to clear
- Transfer the remaining balance by writing a check to Commerce Bank and depositing into your new account
- Request your old account be closed by either contacting the old bank directly or sending the Account Closing Request[PDF] form
Questions about which account is right for you?
Ensure that funds are available in the correct account to make payments as scheduled.